Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The Promise of the Sixties

I felt like crying today as I pressed the touchscreen in the voting booth to choose Barack Obama for President in the Georgia Democratic Primary. I never thought I'd live long enough to be able to decide whether to vote for a woman or an African-American for President--and either one of them stands a good chance of actually getting elected. When I was in college during the 1960's, it felt as though we were part of something huge, a massive change in society that meant the future would really be different... what a disappointment it was to realize some years later that the promise was never fulfilled, and that it seemed like it never would be. Now, I think the future is finally here--and what an incredible joy it is to see it!

No comments: