Sunday, September 11, 2016

The Day of Incredible Grace: September 11, 1981


+JMJ+

I regret that the most important day in my life happens to coincide with the anniversary of what is probably the most horrific day in United States History:  9/11.  Perhaps there is some reason for that, but if there is, I do not know it now.

Nevertheless, September 11, 1981 was the never-to-be-forgotten day when God, in His mercy, came to me, suffused me with His Presence, and instantly changed me from an atheist into a believer. The details of what happened are in my conversion story, if you care to read it: 
http://is-anybody-reading-this.blogspot.com/2015/12/my-journey-to-god-and-catholic-church.html

 Today, I am just reflecting, rejoicing and thanking God for His unbelievable kindness to me, a person who absolutely did not deserve any of it.  Even today's readings at Mass were, I know, His words directed to me:  "I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and arrogant, but I have been mercifully treated because I acted out of ignorance in my unbelief." and "...there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous people who have no need of repentance."

I constantly wonder what it is that He wants from me--I want to repay Him in some way, but I can't:  there is absolutely nothing I could give Him that would equal in the smallest way the gifts He has given me.  I want to--and plan to--give Him my life as a vowed religious if He allows it to me, but what a flawed life it is, what a poor offering!  All I know is that whatever He wants of me, I will give it, because my love for Him overwhelms me, and I could not possibly say "no." 

No comments: