Friday, April 22, 2016

My Fast Day

+JMJ+
___________________________________________________

I am surprised by how much I have come to look forward to my Friday day of fasting and prayer.  To be completely honest, when I first started it (January 1, 2016), it seemed a bit stressful and at times uncomfortable-- and I kind of dreaded it and wondered whether I had made a mistake in committing myself to this practice.  Now--and I have to think this is a grace from God--I actually love it.  

I begin the day by getting up and going to Mass in the morning, which feels like the perfect way to mark this special day.  I don't even mind getting up early for that anymore, either!  Afterwards, I can stay in the church as long as I want to pray, before going home and beginning my day's activities, which I try to keep light so that I have plenty of time for spiritual reading and more prayer. 

It is a day of complete simplicity and calm, a respite from the busyness of the rest of the week.  How glad I am now, that the Lord inspired me to do this!  I recommend it to you all.  +

No comments: