Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Why is God So Good?


+JMJ+

I have been showered with blessings in my life:  it seems to me that I have received so much special attention from God, it makes me feel guilty, because I know I don't deserve it.  I have never been able to understand why He is so good to me--when I have led such a terribly sinful life in the past.

I am overflowing with love and gratitude, and I have asked Him all the time, "Why me?"  --but never got an answer.

Jesus said that whatever we ask the Father in His Name, we will receive... but for some inexplicable reason, I have tended to be reluctant to ask for anything for myself.  However, as I wrote recently, I received another amazing gift when He quickly answered my desperate prayer for a chance to return to religious life--and so today, I decided to ask the Father for something I lack:  a pure heart, a loving heart, to be able to love as Jesus loves.

And then it came to me... or I guess it was the Holy Spirit that told me... the reason why He has been so good to me is because He wants me to have that deep desire--that compulsion--to love as Jesus loves.

Simply to love as Jesus loves, because that is what He wants, and it is the only thing I can do to give something back to Him in return for all that He has given me.  He wants each one of us, me included, to be so overwhelmingly grateful for what He has given, that the only way we can think of responding--and we can't help but feel the need to respond--is to give Him what He wants:  our unconditional love of others, to love as He loves. 

Love is all we have to give, and love is all He wants.  And now I can finally stop asking, "Why?" +

No comments: