Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Suffering: Accepting the Cross You Have Been Given


+JMJ+

I have been having terrible problems for quite awhile in getting along with my elderly parents.  I have lived with and cared for them for 4 1/2 years, but the major anger problem I now have is quite new.

Although I pray constantly for relief, asking for my heart to change--confess the same lack of charity over and over again--I only improve for a short time and then I fall into sin again. It is frustrating, humiliating, and depressing:  I had a much better opinion of my virtue, but clearly, I was wrong, and I hate it.

Tonight after Confession, Father gave me this penance: to pray before the tabernacle and tell Jesus about all my struggles.  I did what he assigned me to do, and I received this insight:  I am suffering...yes, it is emotional suffering, not physical--but real suffering nonetheless; having to face the truth, that I am not the good person that I thought I was, is very hard to take.  Moreover, what I have been doing is refusing this suffering--asking Him to let this cup pass from me.  I have been asking God to take the suffering away--to make me better, not so that I will be more kind to my parents, but so that I will not have endure all this shame and frustration at my inability to change! Pride, pride, pride! What I should be doing is what Jesus did. "Father, if You are willing, take this cup from Me; yet not My will, but Yours be done."


This is apparently the suffering that He has sent me, probably something that I need, and what He has ordained for me to endure. So what I should be doing --and am now resolved to do---is to embrace it, to accept it in union with His suffering on the Cross, until such time as He chooses to release me from the grip of this ugliness within me.

No comments: