Thursday, November 24, 2016

Were They Angels?


+JMJ+



OK, I am going to go out on a limb here with this story, but I am wondering!


At Mass last Sunday morning, there was an older woman with a young child sitting at the end of my pew.  I had never seen them before.  While I was putting down my missal, Bible and journal, the woman asked me where she could buy a Catholic Bible for her grandson.  I told her where I had bought mine, and she asked me how much it cost, and I told her: $35.00.  Frankly, she didn't look like she could afford $35.00, but at that moment I did not think much about that. 


There was about 15 minutes left before Mass was to start, so I decided to go to the restroom.  As I was walking there, the thought suddenly came to me:  I should give them my Bible.  Then in my head, I heard the words, "If today you hear His voice, harden not your hearts."  I was a little resistant, since I really liked that Bible, but I resolved to do it.


When I returned to the pew, I gave them the Bible.  They did not act like you would expect a stranger to act when given such an unexpected gift:  it seemed almost as if they already knew I would give it to them, but that did not bother me, because I felt good about doing it.


I planned to speak to them after Mass, to welcome them to our parish or something like that, but when I looked up after the last hymn, they had disappeared--I never saw them leave.  +



No comments: